This Easy Vegan Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mug Cake is super chocolatey, gooey, and delicious! Mug cakes might be one of the greatest inventions of all time!
What's a mug cake? It's a single serving cake in a mug that takes about a minute to cook in your microwave. What could be easier?
When a craving for something sweet hits, you can have your cake ready in minutes. If you need a quick and easy vegan dessert for one, this might be your new favorite recipe.
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably already have at home.
- Flour - I use regular all purpose flour.
- Sugar - I prefer using white sugar but you can do brown as well for a little molasses flavor.
- Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- Oil - I recommend using regular vegetable oil or canola oil as they have a very neutral flavor.
- Non-dairy milk - I use unsweetened soy milk for all my baking and cooking. Almond milk and oat milk would work well too. Coconut milk will add a coconut flavor to your cake.
- Vanilla extract
- Peanut butter
- Vegan chocolate chips - Any kind you can find works. I like using Trader Joe's Chocolate Chips which are accidentally vegan.
- Baking powder
Making the Microwave Mug Cake
This easy recipe uses simple ingredients and a microwave-safe mug. That's right...no other bowls needed! To begin, put the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a mug.
Mix it all together with a fork or a small whisk.
Now it's time for the wet ingredients. Add the oil, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix well. It should resemble regular chocolate cake batter. Make sure you incorporate all the ingredients right down to the bottom of the mug.
For the peanut butter, you want to keep it together in one piece instead of swirling it in. I use two spoons to put the peanut butter in the middle of all the batter. You'll want to make sure it's submerged in the chocolate.
Put your chocolate chips on top. You do not need to mix it in. I love a lot of gooey chocolate and peanut butter but you can also use less chocolate chips if you prefer.
Cook the mug cake in your microwave for 1 minute. Let it cool for a minute or two before digging in. It will be very chocolatey! I prefer to eat it right out of the mug but you can also transfer it to a plate. It's not super attractive but it tastes amazing.
I like this recipe as written but feel free to mix it up a bit.
- A la mode - Add a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream on top!
- Super chocolatey - If you don't like peanut butter you can leave it out and just have a very chocolatey cake.
- Nutty flavor - Instead of peanut butter, you can substitute almond butter or sunflower butter. You can also add in some chopped nuts.
- Mug cake sundae - Add some non-dairy whipped cream on top and some sprinkles.
- Caramel - Add a drizzle of vegan caramel on top.
What type of oil should I use?
I like using regular vegetable or canola oil. You can also use sunflower oil or melted coconut oil.
Can I use a different type of flour?
I only make mug cake with regular all purpose flour. But if you want to experiment with whole wheat or oat flour, try just substituting 1-2 tablespoons of the regular flour. Let me know how it turns out!
Can I use brown sugar or coconut sugar?
Sure! Using an alternative sugar will just change the flavor a bit but it will still work out. Brown sugar will give it a light molasses flavor.
This Easy Vegan Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mug Cake recipe is a super quick, easy, and decadent vegan dessert. It literally only takes a few minutes to make this vegan cake. This is a great option when you want to satisfy your chocolate craving but you don't want to make an entire cake or pan of brownies.
The great thing about this delicious dessert is that it's so quick and easy yet tastes like it took a lot of time to make.
Interested in other recipes with chocolate chips? Check out:
- Easy Vegan Zucchini Bread With Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies With Peanuts
- Hearty Vegan Trail Mix Cookies Without Oats
Easy Vegan Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt to a mug.
- Mix until well combined with a fork or small whisk.
- Add in the oil, non-dairy milk and vanilla extract and stir well. It will have the consistency of regular cake batter.
- Use two spoons to add the peanut butter. Put the entire spoonful right in the middle of the batter. Don't mix it in.
- Add the chocolate chips on top.
- Cook in the microwave for 1 minute. Let cool for a minute or two before digging in!
- I use regular vegetable oil, but canola oil or melted coconut oil would work too.
- I use unsweetened soy milk for all my baking and cooking but almond milk or oat milk would work well too.
- I use Trader Joe's brand of chocolate chips which are dairy-free.