This Easy Sautéed Cabbage And Onions is a the best way to cook cabbage. It's super flavorful and easy to make. This is my kids' favorite way to eat cabbage.
There are many different ways to prepare cabbage raw in coleslaws and salads. But my favorite way to eat cabbage is cooked - especially in this cabbage recipe. It only requires a few ingredients and can be made in 30 minutes. No need to wait for St. Patrick's Day - this is a great recipe for a busy weeknight any time of the year!
- I make this with green cabbage but red cabbage works great too!
- If you want your cabbage a little spicy, add some red pepper flakes while cooking or sprinkle on top when serving.
- If you want a hint of sweetness, peel and chop or thinly slice an apple. Add the apple in at the same time you add the vegetable broth.
Making the Recipe
This recipe only uses four ingredients...plus salt and pepper. To start, cut the onion in slices. Then, prepare the cabbage by cutting out the thickest part of the core. Chop up the rest of the cabbage in pieces no larger than 2" on either side.
Now it's time to cook. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and the chopped cabbage. Make sure you don't put the whole onion slices in. Separate the rings first before adding them to the pan. Sauté the onions and cabbage for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add in the vegetable broth, stir and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cabbage will be soft when it's done. Remove the cover and add in the salt and pepper. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Is cabbage healthy?
Very! Cabbage is a delicious source of fiber, vitamin C and vitamin K.
This Easy Sautéed Cabbage and Onions is a super easy cabbage recipe. When you cook cabbage for a while, it becomes much more mellow. This is a great side dish for any time of year.
Looking for more vegan side dish recipes? Check out:
- Quick Cucumber Salad With Vinegar (Vegan)
- Easy Vegan Cornbread Casserole With Jiffy Mix
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole Using Canned Green Beans
Easy Sautéed Cabbage and Onions (Vegan)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 small green cabbage or ½ of a large cabbage
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the onion in thin slices.
- Core the cabbage and chop into pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and cabbage and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable broth, stir and cover the pan.
- Lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cover and add the salt and pepper.
- Stir well while continuing to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This can also be made using red cabbage.
- To make this dish spicy, add some red pepper flakes.
- If you'd like a little sweetness, chop or thinly slice a peeled apple and add it in when adding the vegetable broth.