If you are looking for a delicious way to cook cauliflower, this Easy Smoky Roasted Cauliflower Recipe might be your new favorite. All you need is a handful of ingredients and your cauliflower will be transformed. This makes an amazing side dish but can also be used as filling for tacos, wraps and more.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty side dish.
- Cauliflower - You'll need a whole medium sized head of fresh cauliflower. Make sure to inspect it to ensure there are no brown spots.
- Olive oil
- Smoked paprika - Smoked paprika is what makes this dish! Do not substitute with regular paprika.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
You can play around with the spices to change the flavor of this dish.
- Make it spicy! Add some chili powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or a few splashes of hot sauce.
- Make it "cheesy". Add in a little nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese (for non-vegans).
- Make it Indian-inspired. Add in about 1 teaspoon of curry powder to the spice mixture.
- Make it citrusy. Add some lemon zest when combining with the spices and a splash of fresh lemon juice on the finished cauliflower.
How to Make Smoky Roasted Cauliflower
To start, preheat oven to 425°. Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper.
Next, wash and cut the cauliflower into even sized florets. If the cauliflower florets are too varied in size they won't cook evenly. I like cutting them into small florets, around bite-sized pieces.
In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices: the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Place cauliflower pieces in a large mixing bowl and drizzle the olive oil on top. Use a wooden spoon to stir and toss to coat. I try not to use too much oil but if you think you need more, it's fine to add up to 1-2 tablespoons extra.
Add the seasonings and stir well to evenly distribute. You don't want to have one piece with a ton of seasoning while other pieces have very little.
Place the seasoned cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer with the flat sides down. Make sure the pan isn't too crowded and that the smaller pieces are towards the center. (The edges of the pan get the hottest.)
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Flip the cauliflower over and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Let the roast cauliflower cool to room temperature. Store leftover cauliflower in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The best way to reheat it is in the oven. You can also microwave it but it will be super soft.
Why Cook With Cauliflower?
Cauliflower is the perfect vehicle for almost any flavor you're looking for. It's amazing roasted but can also be a creamy substitute for mashed potatoes and can also be riced.
It's incredibly nutritious. It's low in calories but full of vitamins and minerals. It's also packed with fiber which makes your digestive track happy.
Are there different ways to serve smoky roasted cauliflower besides a side dish?
Absolutely! Use it in tacos, wraps, or grain bowls for added texture and flavor. You can also blend it into a creamy soup or toss it with pasta for a unique twist on your favorite dishes.
What's the easiest way to prepare a whole head of cauliflower?
Start by removing the leaves and trimming the stem to ensure even cooking. Then, cut it into bite-sized florets or go for the "cauliflower steak" approach by slicing it into thick slabs. Either way, it's an easy recipe!
Can I make these using cauliflower steaks instead of florets?
Sure! I would increase the cooking time by about 10 minutes or so if you are cutting your cauliflower into "steaks" instead of florets.
This easy side dish can steal the show at any meal. One of the best parts of this dish is its versatility so change up the seasoning if you want to make it your own. It's a great addition to any meal and even works great as an afternoon snack!
Looking for other vegan side dishes? Check out:
Easy Smoky Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 cauliflower head
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into even sized florets.
- In a small bowl, mix together the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the cauliflower in a large bowl and drizzle the olive oil on top. Use a spatula to stir and toss to coat.
- Add the seasonings and stir well to evenly distribute.
- Place the seasoned cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Flip the cauliflower over and bake for another 10-15 minutes until done.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.