This Easy Vegan Zucchini Bread With Chocolate Chips is sweet, moist, and delicious. It's one of my favorite breads to make and it's a great way to use up leftover zucchini.
This vegan recipe doesn't use a flax egg which makes baked goods too dense. It's quick to put together and the whole family loves it. This easy vegan zucchini bread is very versatile and you can put in your favorite add-ins.
Making the Vegan Zucchini Bread
To start, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8" x 4" loaf pan by spraying it with cooking spray. You can also line it with parchment paper. Next, use a handheld grater to grate a medium zucchini. You can also use a food processor, but it only takes a minute to do it by hand.
Wrap the grated zucchini in a paper towel and set aside. The paper towel helps absorb some of the excess liquid.
Next, in a small bowl, combine the vegetable oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. I always use unsweetened soy milk in my cooking and baking but almond or oat milk would work well too. I wouldn't use coconut milk as it will give the bread a coconut flavor. Wondering about the different plant milks? Check out Vegan Milk Options.
Set aside the wet ingredients. Don't be alarmed if the mixture looks curdled. The vinegar mixed with the non-dairy milk combine to make a buttermilk substitute.
Next, in a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Make sure there aren't any sugar lumps in it. You can use a combination of brown sugar and white sugar as well. I prefer the flavor of all brown sugar though.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the zucchini shreds, vegan chocolate chips, and raisins. Do not overmix.
Pour the zucchini batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 53-60 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and put on a cooling rack to cool completely. You can eat it as is or spread on some vegan butter or nut butter. Store any leftovers in an airtight container or wrapped in aluminum foil.
- Add in ⅓ cup of walnuts. You can also take out the raisins if you aren't a fan of them.
- Turn the zucchini bread into vegan zucchini muffins. Fill the muffin tins about ⅔ full and bake for 18 - 20 minutes.
- If you don't have vegetable oil you can also use canola oil.
- Substitute the raisins for a different dried fruit.
Can I use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar?
Yes, if you don't have any apple cider vinegar you can use white vinegar in it's place.
I prefer baking with whole wheat flour. Can I use it in this recipe?
Yes you can! Using white wheat flour gives the best result over regular whole wheat flour. I also recommend using 50% white with 50% wheat for best texture. The whole wheat flour makes a denser loaf.
I'm trying to bake with less oil. Can I substitute applesauce for the oil?
Yes, you can substitute applesauce for the oil in even amounts. Note, it will be a denser loaf without the oil but it will still taste great. You can also use half oil and half applesauce.
Do I have to put in the raisins?
Nope. You can leave them out or even substitute with another dried fruit. The raisins give it added sweetness and texture.
How can I tell if the bread is done?
Insert a toothpick or even a fork in the middle of the bread. If any batter/crumbs are stuck to it then give it five more minutes to cook.
Can you freeze zucchini bread?
Yes. For best results, wrap it in wax paper or parchment paper and place in a freezer bag. When you are ready, thaw the bread in the refrigerator overnight. You should be able to slice it by the next morning. You can warm up individual slices in the oven.
This Easy Vegan Zucchini Bread With Chocolate Chips uses simple ingredients and is quick to put together. It's a family friendly recipe that will even get veggie haters eating their zucchini. Plus, it's dairy-free, egg-free and doesn't use an egg replacer. It can also easily be made oil-free. The next time you have extra zucchini on hand, make a loaf of this easy vegan zucchini bread for everyone to enjoy.
Looking for more vegan bread recipes? Check out:
Easy Vegan Zucchini Bread With Chocolate Chips (No Flax)
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare an 8" x 4" loaf pan by spraying with nonstick oil spray or lining it with parchment paper.
- Grate a medium zucchini with a box grater. Wrap the zucchini shreds in a paper towel and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the vegetable oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Make sure there aren't any sugar lumps in it.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the zucchini, chocolate chips, and raisins. Do not overmix.
- Pour the zucchini batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and put on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
- If you don't have any apple cider vinegar, white vinegar can work as well.
- I use unsweetened soy milk, but almond milk or oat milk would work too. I don't recommend coconut milk because it will give it a coconut flavor.
- You can also add about ⅓ cup of walnuts for added crunch.
This is the best zucchini bread! I made a loaf and my family ate the whole thing the same day. Sweet and moist but not super heavy. Thanks for the recipe.
Glad your family liked it!
This is the best zucchini bread recipe - vegan or non-vegan. Hands down.
It's my favorite too! Thanks!