Peanut butter, a popular and delicious spread, has often been a subject of debate among vegans. It is often used on toast, in desserts and savory dishes, and in a beloved peanut butter and jelly. But is Jif Peanut Butter vegan? The answer is that most varieties are but one is not.
Let's take a closer look at Jif Peanut Butter and determine whether it fits in with a vegan lifestyle. We'll also explore the controversial ingredients, potential sources of concern, and alternatives for strict vegans.
All ingredients and nutritional information can be found on Jif's website.
Peanut Butter Main Ingredients
Jif Peanut Butter contains a few key ingredients:
1. Peanuts: Jif Peanut Butter is primarily made from ground peanuts. This is a good sign for those on a vegan diet, as peanuts themselves are plant-based.
2. Sugar: Here's where things get a bit more complicated. Some brands use bone char to whiten sugar. Bone char is often derived from animal bones. Read below to learn more.
3. Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils: Jif Peanut Butter also includes hydrogenated vegetable oils, which are plant-based fats. These oils give the peanut butter its creamy texture.
Is Sugar in Jif Peanut Butter Vegan?
One of the concerns for vegans when it comes to Jif Peanut Butter is the sugar used in the product. Let's take a closer look at whether sugar is vegan-friendly.
- Sugar Sources: The sugar used in Jif Peanut Butter can come from different sources. In the United States, sugar is often made from sugar cane or sugar beets. Both of these sources are generally considered vegan.
- Bone Char Controversy: The controversy arises when cane sugar is processed using bone char. Bone char is made from animal bones and sometimes sugar is processed using it. However, it's essential to note that not all sugar is processed this way. The only way to be sure that bone char is not being used is to buy products that are either labeled vegan or contain organic sugar which does not use bone char. Or better yet, buy peanut butter that does not contain any sugar.
Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure whether or not Jif Peanut Butter contains sugar that's been filtered through bone char. While some strict vegans stay away from products that contain sugar, others are fine with it.
Products and Ingredients Lists
Below are the ingredients lists for all of the Jif products. Any animal-derived ingredients will be in bold.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Molasses, Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (rapeseed And Soybean), Mono And Diglycerides, Salt.
- Extra Crunch Peanut Butter: Peanuts, Sugar, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Molasses, Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (rapeseed And Soybean), Mono And Diglycerides, Salt.
- Natural Creamy Peanut Butter: Peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Molasses.
- Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter: Peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Molasses.
- Natural Creamy Peanut Butter and Honey: Peanut Butter Spread (peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Molasses), Honey.
- Simply Jif Peanut Butter: Roasted Peanuts, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (rapeseed And Soybean), Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Sugar, Salt.
- No Added Sugar Creamy Peanut Butter: Peanuts, Palm Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt.
- Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter: Peanuts, Corn Syrup Solids, Sugar, Pea Protein, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (rapeseed And Soybean), Mono And Diglycerides, Molasses, Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide, Ferric Orthophosphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid.
Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter and Honey is not vegan as it contains non-vegan ingredients. The rest of the varieties can be considered vegan-friendly.
Popular Brands of Peanut Butter
Here are some of the most well-known and beloved peanut butter brands:
- Jif: Jif is one of the most recognized peanut butter brands in the United States. They offer a range of peanut butter products, including creamy, crunchy, and flavored varieties.
- Skippy: Skippy is another popular brand known for its creamy and chunky peanut butter. They also offer natural and reduced-fat options.
- Peter Pan: Peter Pan peanut butter is known for its smooth and creamy texture. They offer various peanut butter products, including reduced-fat and honey-roasted options.
- Smucker's: Smucker's offers a wide range of peanut butter products, including natural, organic, and flavored varieties. They are also known for their jelly and jam products. Their Natural Peanut Butter only contains peanuts and salt and is a great choice.
- 365 Everyday Value (Whole Foods Market): Whole Foods Market's private label, 365 Everyday Value, offers organic and natural peanut butter options, catering to health-conscious and eco-friendly consumers.
- Justin's: Justin's is known for its organic and natural nut butter products, including almond and peanut butter. They also offer convenient nut butter squeeze packs.
- Maranatha: Maranatha specializes in organic and natural nut butters, including peanut butter. They offer various flavors and options for those with dietary preferences.
- Wild Friends: Wild Friends is known for its unique nut butter blends and flavors, appealing to consumers looking for innovative and health-focused options.
Vegan Peanut Butter Brands
If you want to be 100% sure your peanut butter is vegan, choose a product that is certified vegan or that only contains peanuts with or without salt. Some of the best are:
- 365 by Whole Foods Organic Peanut Butter
- Crazy Richard's Peanut Butter Co.
- Justin's Vegan Peanut Butter
- Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter
- Spread the Love Naked Organic Peanut Butter
Make Your Own Peanut Butter
If you are worried about the ingredients in your peanut butter, you can just make your own! All you need are peanuts, salt, and a food processor. For a step by step recipe, check out Homemade Peanut Butter by Love & Lemons.
Is Jif Peanut Butter certified vegan?
No, it is not. Jif also states the following on their website: "Some of our products do contain ingredients from animal origin, such as our Jif® Natural with Honey, so our products are not considered vegan at this time."
Is Jif Peanut Butter a good source of protein?
Yes it is. A serving (about 2 tbsp) has about 7 grams of protein.
Does Jif Peanut Butter contain dairy products?
No, their peanut butter does not contain any dairy ingredients.
What's the best kind of peanut butter to buy?
I recommend buying peanut butter with simple ingredients like peanuts and salt. I would stay away from brands that contain added oils and sugar.
Does Jif Peanut Butter contain fish oils?
Not anymore. There used to be a product called Jif Creamy Peanut Butter and Omega-3 DHA which did contain fish oil products but it has been discontinued.
Does peanut butter need to be kept in the fridge?
That depends on the types of peanut butter. Natural peanut butters often do not contain added oils. These are best kept in the fridge. Other kinds contain hydrogenated oils and they are fine being kept at room temperature.
Eating peanut butter is a great way to get some added protein as well as vitamins and minerals. Jif Peanut Butter can be considered vegan-friendly for most individuals following a vegan diet with the exception of Natural Creamy Peanut Butter and Honey. However, for those with strict vegan preferences or concerns about sugar and bone char, choose certified vegan peanut butter brands for peace of mind.
Ultimately, the choice of peanut butter depends on your individual dietary choices and comfort level with the ingredients used in the product. However, I find it's a good idea to have a jar of peanut butter in my fridge at all times!
Wondering if other products are vegan? Check out: