This Mexican 3 Bean Salad With Corn is one of my favorite dishes to bring to a get together. It's quick and easy to make and tastes even better the next day.
This bean salad combines three kinds of beans with fresh vegetables, Mexican flavors, and a tangy dressing. It's also a great way to up your fiber and protein intake. It's perfect as a side dish or as an appetizer with tortilla chips or pita bread. You can even eat it as a main dish, especially for lunch. This versatile recipe is a favorite in our house.
Making the Mixed Bean Salad
This is a very easy recipe that just requires a little chopping and then mixing everything together. To start, prep the veggies by chopping the onion, bell pepper and tomatoes in small pieces. I used a green bell pepper but a red pepper (or orange or yellow) is delicious in this.
You can also use any kind of tomato you have. I used cherry tomatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped veggies, three cans of beans (drained and rinsed), corn kernels and diced green chiles. Stir with a wooden spoon.
Next for the salad dressing. Combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime and lemon juice, Franks hot sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, white sugar and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk until thoroughly mixed. You can also add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar with a lid and shake until combined. I prefer using the mason jar method because it's done with a few shakes of the jar.
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and stir to combine. Cover the salad and refrigerate for at least an hour.
The Mexican three bean salad develops a better flavor the longer it sits. Keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. If you aren't making it as a side dish, serve it with tortilla chips or another bread or chip.
I don't have apple cider vinegar. Can I use a different kind?
Absolutely. You can use red or white wine vinegar as well.
Can I add cilantro to this bean salad?
Of course! If you love cilantro, add in as much as you like. I'm not a fan of it so I leave it out.
Can I use different beans?
Definitely! Use any combination of canned beans you like. I love the combination of black, light brown, and white beans. But you can use any kind you like such as red kidney beans, great northern beans, navy beans, or garbanzo beans.
Can I add avocado to this?
Yes! I love avocado but I don't like putting it in this salad as it gets a little mushy. But you can put a bowl of chopped avocado out with the salad.
Can I use a different kind of onion?
Yes. I like red onion but you can also use yellow or white onions.
This Mexican Three Bean Salad is one I love to make all year long. The hearty salad is great for a quick lunch during the week. It's also one of my favorite dishes to bring to a get together as an appetizer or side dish. The best part is that it's easy to make and you can make it the day before you need it. Try it out and let me know what you think!
Interested in other vegan salad recipes? Check out:
- The Best Vegan Potato Salad (With Dill Pickle Juice)
- Easy Vegan Pasta Salad Without Mayo
- Quick Cucumber Salad With Vinegar
Mexican 3 Bean Salad With Corn (Vegan)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Franks hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced)
- 1 ½ tablespoon white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- In a large bowl, mix together the drained and rinsed beans, onion, pepper, corn and tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime and lemon juice, Franks hot sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, sugar and cumin. Whisk until well combined. You can also add them all to a mason jar with a lid and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. This is great as a salad but you can also eat it with tortilla chips.