These Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are super chocolatey and have a peanut crunch. They're sweet and a little salty. They're easy to make and only use one bowl. Looking for another way to pair chocolate and peanuts?
These Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies With Peanuts might be your new favorite treat.
This recipe uses simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have at home.
- Vegan butter - My favorite is Earth Balance. I use the butter sticks and recommend them if you can find them. The butter sticks are easier to measure and also have a lower water content.
- Brown sugar
- Flour - I use all purpose flour in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder
- Vegan chocolate chips - Any non-dairy chocolate chip brand is fine. I like using Trader Joe's chocolate chips.
- Roasted and salted peanuts - If you only have unsalted peanuts, you can use them as well. Just increase the amount of salt in the recipe to ½ tsp.
- Baking soda
- Non-dairy milk - I use unsweetened soy milk for the majority of my baking and cooking. If you don't have soy milk, unsweetened almond milk works great too.
Wondering what's the best non-dairy milk? Check out Vegan Milk Options - A Look at Non-Dairy Milks to learn more.
Making the Vegan Cookies
To start, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. If they're not already chopped, use a knife to roughly chop the peanuts. It's fine if some are still whole.
Next, cream the softened vegan butter and the brown sugar in a stand mixer. An electric mixer and a large mixing bowl will work fine too. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Once the butter and sugar are creamed, add in the vanilla extract and the soy milk and beat until combined.
Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add the regular flour, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, and baking soda and mix until combined. Make sure you mix at a low speed so the flour and cocoa powder don't spill out. The batter will be very thick.
Add the chocolate chips and peanuts and stir with a spoon. As it's a thick crumbly dough, I find it's easier to use your hands to mix and incorporate mix-ins.
Roll the dough into balls about a little more than 1 inch wide. If you want your cookies to be the exact same size, feel free to use a cookie scoop. (I don't bother with one though.) Place the cookie dough balls on the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Remove the baking tray from the oven and let rest for 3 minutes before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
What's the best way to soften the vegan butter?
The easiest way to soften butter is to leave it out on the counter at room temperature for about 20 minutes. But if you don't have time, you can microwave it for no more than 15 seconds.
These look like pretty thick cookies. Can I make them flatter?
If you want a flatter cookie, gently press down on the cookies with the back of a fork when they come out of the oven.
Don't I need to use a flax egg to make vegan cookies?
Nope. I do not like using flax eggs (flaxseed plus water) in my baking as it makes things too dense. These cookies don't need them.
I don't have brown sugar. Can I use white sugar instead?
Yes. If you have molasses, add 1 tablespoon to the recipe. If not, it should work out without it.
Can I use coconut oil in this recipe?
I don't recommend using any oil including coconut, sunflower or olive oil. Vegan butter works much better.
Can I make these cookies gluten-free?
I have not tried these with gluten-free flour so I do not know if it would work out. If you do try it, leave a comment below!
My whole family loves these vegan double chocolate chip cookies! These rich chocolate and peanutty cookies are a great vegan dessert or snack. The chewy and crunchy cookies are quick and easy to make and only use 1 bowl. If you love chocolate and peanuts together, this may be the perfect cookie. Bake a batch and enjoy with a cold glass of non-dairy milk!
Interested in other vegan cookie recipes? Check out:
- The Best Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Easy Homemade Lemon Cookies (Vegan)
- Easy Vegan Cranberry Cookies With Almond Extract
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Peanuts
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips (vegan)
- ½ cup roasted and salted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare your baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and the brown sugar. You can also use a hand mixer and a large bowl.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and soy milk.
- Add in the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder and the baking soda. Mix it on low speed until well combined.
- Use a spoon to stir in the chocolate chips and the chopped peanuts. You can also use your hands which I think works even better. The batter will be very thick.
- Roll the cookie batter into balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let the cookies rest for 3 minutes.
- Optional: Use a fork to slightly flatten the cookies.
- Use a spatula to move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- My favorite vegan butter is Earth Balance.
- I use Trader Joe's chocolate chips which are naturally dairy-free.