Ah, avocado toast. It's a perfect option for breakfast, lunch, or a snack. Whether you slice your avocados or mash them, you really can't go wrong. But there is one seasoning that will take it from yummy to the Best Vegan Avocado Toast - Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend.
Avocado Toast Seasoning
Trader Joe's is one of my absolute favorite places to shop as they have a lot of amazing vegan options. But this Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend is one of my favorite items. It is delicious on anything - rice dishes, veggies, and of course, avocado toast.
But what if you don't have a Trader Joe's near you? No worries - there are a ton of recipes online to make your own. Minimalist Baker has a great recipe for Everything Bagel Seasoning. It includes poppy seeds, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, dried minced onion, dried minced garlic, and flaky salt.
Avocado Toast Ingredients
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this yummy avocado toast.
- Sourdough bread - Sourdough is my favorite bread for avocado toast. It gives it that slightly tangy flavor. But you can use any bread you like.
- Avocado - Make sure the avocado is ripe.
- Vegan butter - My favorite vegan butter to use is Earth Balance.
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning - I buy this from Trader Joe's but you can also make your own seasoning blend.
Avocado Toast Variations
I love avocado toast just like this. But there are many different ways to switch up the recipe.
- Red onions - Add some thin slices of red onion and a pinch of salt for extra flavor.
- Mushroom Avocado Toast - Sauté some mushroom slices to top your avocado.
- Make it spicy! Add some hot sauce on top. I recommend Frank's Red Hot. You can also add a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.
- Mexican Avocado Toast. Add some black beans and a sprinkle of cumin.
- Cream Cheese Avocado Toast - Want it extra creamy? Put a thin layer of vegan cream cheese on the toast before adding slices of avocado.
- Avocado Tomato Toast - Add some slices of ripe tomatoes and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt and black pepper. You can also add just a touch of balsamic vinegar.
- Fresh herbs - Add your favorite fresh herbs on top such as thyme and fresh basil.
- Avocado Egg Toast - For non-vegans, top your avocado toast with a fried egg.
How to Make Avocado Toast
Sure you can make simple avocado toast by toasting some bread and putting some avocado on top. But avocado toast can be so much more!
To begin, heat the vegan butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add the bread to the melted butter, then flip over right away. You want to be able to get the melted butter on both sides of the bread.
Cook bread for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the bread over and continue to cook for 3 more minutes.
While your bread is toasting, mash up the avocado.
Remove the bread from the pan and place on a plate. Add mashed avocado to the toasted bread. Sprinkle desired amount of Everything Seasoning on top and enjoy!
What's the best bread for avocado toast?
Any kind you like. There is no "wrong" bread. Aside from sourdough, I love a hearty whole grain bread. Just make sure you choose a good bread that will be a sturdy base to your avocado toast.
How do you keep avocados from turning brown?
It doesn't take long for an avocado to start browning once it's cut. You can simply mix in a little lemon juice or lime juice to prevent browning.
Are avocados healthy?
Yes! There are a lot of health benefits of eating avocados. They are full of different vitamins and minerals, healthy fats and fiber.
If you love avocado toast, visit your local Trader Joe's or mix up a batch of Everything Bagel Seasoning and bring your avocado toast to the next level. Avocado toast is great for breakfast, lunch or as a snack. Adding Everything Seasoning adds a ton of flavor to an already delicious dish.
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check out:
- Easy Vegan Drop Biscuits With Herbs
- Tasty Vegan Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Easy Vegan Banana Bread With Pears
The Best Vegan Avocado Toast
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 large slice of sourdough bread, or something similar
- ½ ripe avocado, mashed
- everything bagel seasoning Trader Joe's or homemade
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add bread to melted butter, then flip over.
- Cook bread for 5 min. or until browned
- Flip bread over and continue to cook for 3 more min.
- Remove from pan.
- Add mashed avocado to toasted bread.
- Sprinkle desired amount of everything seasoning on top and enjoy!
- Mash your avocado to your desired consistency. I prefer chunky over smooth.
- I use Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Sesame seasoning, but you can make your own. There are plenty of DIY recipes for it online.