A steaming bowl of Creamy Vegan Pot Pie Soup is perfect for a cozy evening. The comfort of a classic pot pie, transformed into a hearty, plant-based masterpiece that's as soothing as it is delicious. This soup is the perfect remedy for your comfort food cravings, providing warmth and nourishment.
Why You'll Love This Soup
- No dairy: The best part of this soup is that it's rich and creamy without any dairy.
- Ultimate comfort food: This soup combines warmth, heartiness, nostalgia and creaminess in one amazing bowl.
- No crust: This recipe just like a creamy pot pie in soup form without the pie crust.
- Simple ingredients: This creamy vegetable soup is made with wholesome ingredients that you probably already have at home.
- Non-dairy milk - Use your favorite unsweetened plant milk. I don't recommend using coconut milk as it will give the soup a coconut flavor.
- Frozen peas and corn - You can also use fresh peas and corn.
- Leeks - If you don't have any leeks, increase the amount of onion to 1 whole onion.
- Vegan butter - My favorite brands are Earth Balance and Country Crock Plant Butter.
- Potatoes - Any kind of potato is fine to use.
- Vegetable broth - Homemade or packaged
- Garlic powder - You can use 2 cloves of garlic instead of powdered.
- Add in other fresh veggies like green beans.
- Add in some white beans for added protein and fiber.
- Instead of dried, use fresh herbs. Use 1-2 teaspoon of fresh thyme.
- Add in some plant-based "chicken". Soy curls would work well in this soup.
1. To start, wash and cut your vegetables and set aside.
2. Next, in a large pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat and sauté the veggies.
3. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and leek and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and thyme and cook for an additional minute while stirring consistently.
5. Next, add in the potatoes and the vegetable stock and stir well. Bring the soup to a boil and then lower the temperature to low heat. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
6. Stir in the peas, corn and non-dairy milk and cook for an additional minute.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot.
- Make sure the carrots are sliced thinly. Any big chunks won't be tender when the soup is done cooking.
- Try to chop the vegetables in similar sizes so they cook evenly.
Once cooled, package up the leftover soup in an airtight container. This creamy soup will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Yes, start by following the directions through adding the flour and seasonings. Then transfer to the crock pot and add veggie broth and potatoes and mix well. Set to high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Add in the frozen peas and corn and the milk during the last 30 minutes.
Sure. If you want all the flavor of a traditional pot pie but in a smooth creamy soup, use an immersion blender to puree it. You can also use a blender and blend in batches.
Yes. Simply substitute the all purpose flour with a gluten free flour.
Sure. If you aren't eating vegan, you can substitute chicken broth for veggie broth, regular milk for plant-based milk, and regular butter for vegan butter. You can also add some heavy cream for an even thicker soup.
More Vegan Soups
Did you know that rating and commenting on recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you try the recipe, please click the star rating on the recipe card and add a comment below. Thanks!
Creamy Veggie Pot Pie Soup (Vegan)
- 5 tablespoon vegan butter
- ½ onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- Wash and cut your vegetables and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and leek and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme and cook for an additional minute while stirring.
- Add in the potatoes and the vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil and then lower the temperature. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add in the peas, corn and non-dairy milk and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve hot with biscuits or bread.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Large soup pot