This Easy Quinoa With Mushrooms and Spinach is quick to make and delicious to eat. It can be used as either a main or a side dish. It's super easy to make and is very versatile.
I remember when quinoa was the "It" food. Suddenly every recipe contained quinoa and it was all over menus in restaurants. Seems like it's not a popular as it once was and it's a shame. Quinoa is a great rice substitute and is full of protein.
This dish I first created many years ago, when I still ate meat and dairy. It was made with chicken broth and covered with parmesan cheese. I also originally didn't have the spinach in it. Since then I've veganized it, added spinach and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes and it's tastier than it ever.
How to Make the Quinoa Dish
To start, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rinsed quinoa to the melted butter and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. It's really important to rinse the quinoa before using it or it can taste bitter.
Add the vegetable broth, stir well, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, lower heat, and simmer for 10 min.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chopped mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more.
Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes. I prefer using baby spinach as it's already the perfect size and doesn't have any tough stems. Season with salt and pepper.
Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and stir in the vegetables. Add more salt and pepper if needed and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if using. Serve and enjoy!
I love spinach and mushrooms but this recipe is very versatile. Some other veggie options to try are:
- peppers and onions
This Quinoa with Mushrooms and Spinach is a delicious, protein packed dish. It's easy to make and tastes great with other vegetables as well. It's hearty enough for a main dish but also works as a vegan side dish.
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check out:
- Ultimate Vegan Crock Pot Chili
- Mexican 3 Bean Salad With Corn (Vegan)
- Easy Vegan Mexican Casserole With Rice
Easy Quinoa with Mushrooms and Spinach (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 8 oz. package mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add rinsed quinoa to the melted butter and cook for 3 min., stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, lower heat, and simmer for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 4 min.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 min.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 min.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and stir in the vegetables.
- Adjust seasoning as needed and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if using.
- Quinoa MUST be rinsed before cooking or it will taste bitter.
- Serve with parmesan cheese for non-vegans.
- The red pepper flakes are optional but add a nice spice.
I only made quinoa once before and didn’t like it. Now I know it’s because I didn’t rinse it first. This was very easy to make and everyone liked it. Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks for the comment, Terry. Yes, rinsing the quinoa is a must! I made that mistake once too.