This Easy Quinoa With Mushrooms and Spinach is quick to make and delicious to eat. It can be used as either a main or a hearty side dish. It's super easy to make and is very versatile.
I remember when quinoa was the "It" food. Suddenly every recipe contained quinoa and it was all over menus in restaurants. Seems like it's not a popular as it once was and it's a shame. Quinoa is a great rice substitute and is full of protein and fiber.
If you love spinach and enjoyed my air fryer spinach, then this recipe is for you.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's versatile: This recipe is easy to make and tastes great with other vegetables as well. It works as both a main and side dish.
- Quick to make: Start to finish you can have dinner ready in just over 30 minutes.
- Quinoa - Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh sieve.
- Vegetable broth - homemade or packaged
- Vegan butter - My favorite brand of vegan butter is Earth Balance.
- Onion - I use yellow onion but a white onion would work too.
- Mushrooms - Use any kind of fresh mushrooms you like. I usually use white button, baby bella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms. You can also use shiitake mushrooms which are also delicious.
- Baby Spinach - If you use baby spinach, you don't need to chop it. If you're using regular spinach, chop it into smaller pieces. You may also want to remove any tough stems.
- Red pepper flakes (optional) - A sprinkle of red pepper flakes adds a little spice but it can easily be left out.
I love spinach and mushrooms but this recipe is very versatile. You can switch or add almost any extra veggies you like. Some other veggie options to try are:
- Green peppers and onions
- Broccoli and red bell pepper
- Black beans or white beans and corn
- Green onions
- Cubed baked tofu
1. To start, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add rinsed quinoa to the melted butter and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. It's really important to rinse the quinoa before using it or it can taste bitter.
3. Add the vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, lower heat, and simmer for 10 min.
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the garlic and chopped mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more.
6. Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes. I prefer using baby spinach as it's already the perfect size and doesn't have any tough stems.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork.
9. Stir in the spinach and mushroom mixture and add more salt and pepper if needed and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if using.
Serve and enjoy!
Store leftover quinoa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Fresh mushrooms are best, but you can rehydrate dried mushrooms if that's what you have.
As white quinoa is lighter and fluffier than red quinoa, it's the type I prefer to use.
Vegan Dinner Recipes
Did you know that rating and commenting on recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite food bloggers? If you try the recipe, please click the star rating on the recipe card and add a comment below. Thanks!
Easy Quinoa with Mushrooms and Spinach (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 8 oz. package mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add rinsed quinoa to the melted butter and cook for 3 min., stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, lower heat, and simmer for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 4 min.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 min.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 min.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and stir in the vegetables.
- Adjust seasoning as needed and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if using.
- Quinoa MUST be rinsed before cooking or it will taste bitter.
- Serve with parmesan cheese for non-vegans.
- The red pepper flakes are optional but add a nice spice.
- Medium saucepan with lid