The Best Vegan Potato Salad is the perfect side dish for pretty much any summer meal. It's creamy and tangy and absolutely delicious. There are many different ways to make potato salad with different ingredients added in. To me, it's the dressing that makes the dish.
Everyone has one family member who makes the BEST potato salad and it usually has one special ingredient. In our family, it was my mom who made the best potato salad and she was tasked with having to bring it to every get together. The special ingredient she used was pickle juice. This vegan version also uses pickle juice which elevates it to the Best Vegan Potato Salad.
Making the Potato Salad
The first step is preparing the potatoes. After you rinse them, cut them in quarters. You don't need to peel them in advance because it's much easier to remove them after they've been boiled.
Put the cut potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Continue to boil for 13 minutes.
Next, it's time to make the dressing while the potatoes are boiling. In a bowl or a large measuring cup, whisk together the vegan mayo, pickle juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. If you don't already have a favorite brand of vegan mayo, my favorite one to use is Hellman's brand.
As for the pickle juice, I highly recommend Claussen's. I always keep a jar of the remaining juice after we eat the pickles in the back of the fridge so it's available when I need it. To me, it has the perfect flavor for potato salad. When the dressing is all mixed, put it aside in the fridge.
Once the potatoes have cooled for about 30 minutes, remove the peels and roughly cut up into 1" pieces. Put the potato chunks in a large bowl. Add in the diced onions and the dressing. Use a large wooden spoon to carefully mix it all together. Try not to break apart the potato pieces. Sprinkle some paprika on top.
Like all potato salad recipes, it tastes best when made the day before. Store it in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- I use yellow onions but you can use white or red for a more mellow flavor.
- If desired, you can add ½ cup chopped celery.
This creamy vegan potato salad is the most requested side dish for summer get togethers. The tangy dressing, made with dill pickle juice, is the perfect pair to the potatoes.
Interested in other vegan salad recipes? Check out:
- Quick Cucumber Salad With Vinegar
- Mexican 3 Bean Salad With Corn
- Easy Vegan Pasta Salad Without Mayo
The Best Vegan Potato Salad
- 5 lbs eastern or gold potatoes
- 2 ¼ cups vegan mayo
- ¼ cup pickle juice (highly recommend Claussen brand)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus 1 tablespoon to add to the boiling water)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Prepare potatoes by rinsing and cutting them into quarters.
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and add about 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Continue to boil for 13 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the vegan mayo, pickle juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside in the fridge.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the peel from the potatoes and chop into about 1" pieces. Add them to a large bowl.
- Add the onions and the mayo dressing to the potatoes and use a wooden spoon to carefully stir until combined. Be careful not to break apart the potatoes. Sprinkle some paprika on top. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- For best taste, prepare this potato salad the day before you are serving. This lasts about 5 days in the fridge.
- My favorite pickle juice to use is from Claussen pickles.
- I use a yellow onion but feel free to use your favorite variety.
Tastes like summer. Just like Mom used to make!
I got as close as I could!