These Easy Vegan Blondies are an amazing vegan dessert. They have the sweet and tangy flavor of dried cranberries and a gooey center with a nut crunch. I love the combination of flavors and the chewy texture.
These vegan blondies are the perfect afternoon snack or dessert.
Blondies Vs. Brownies
What's the difference between brownies and blondies? It's the cocoa powder! Blondies have a similar texture as brownies but without the chocolate base. Both brownies and blondies are very versatile and you can add all different mix-ins.
I love adding nuts because it adds some crunch to the soft and chewy bars. You can also add other baking chips like peanut butter or butterscotch. Dried fruit is also a good option in blondies or brownies.
Vegan Blondies Ingredients
- Applesauce - I recommend using unsweetened. There's plenty of sweetness from the brown sugar and cranberries.
- Brown sugar
- Vegan butter - My favorite brand to use is Earth Balance.
- Pecans - You can substitute with walnuts if you prefer them.
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour - While I like baking with whole wheat flour, I don't recommend using it in this recipe.
- Baking powder
- Sweetened dried cranberries - I prefer using sweetened dried cranberries over fresh cranberries so there's not too much moisture and they don't come out too tart. I use Craisins but any brand is fine.
But is it difficult to make blondies vegan? Not at all! Using vegan butter is an easy substitute for regular butter. As for the eggs, you don't need them. Often vegan baking recipes call for a flax egg. I don't like using flax eggs because it makes the baked goods too dense.
The great thing is that these blondies come together easily without eggs or any dairy products. Also, because there aren't any eggs, you can take a bite (or two) of the batter without fear of salmonella. You also don't need to worry that they're under-baked and there's uncooked egg.
Making the Blondies
To begin, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then it's time to prepare the 8x8 pan. For best results, use two pieces of parchment paper and place them like a "t" in the pan for easy removal. You do not need to use any cooking spray on the parchment paper.
Make sure the vegan butter is softened by leaving it out at room temperature for 15-20 minute. In a stand mixer or a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the vegan butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract at medium speed until creamy. Add the unsweetened applesauce and mix well.
Next, mix the dry ingredients into the sugar butter mixture at low speed until combined. If the mixture is too crumbly, add one to two tablespoons of water.
Add in the chopped nuts and dried cranberries and fold in with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. Do not over mix!
Use the rubber spatula to scrape the batter into the prepared pan. It might be a little sticky but that's ok. Bake in the oven for 30-32 minutes. The edges should be golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let cool. Let the baked blondies sit for 25 minutes before cutting into 16 bars.
You can store these sweet treats in an airtight container for up to 3 days but I doubt they'll last that long.
Can I add some chocolate chips to these?
White chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips are often found in blondies. Feel free to add some but they might make these a little too sweet depending on your taste.
These Easy Vegan Blondies With Cranberries and Desserts are a crowd pleaser and great to bring to a party. They're sweet, tangy and delicious. No one will know these are vegan!
These blondies are perfect to make any time of year. But with the cranberries, they can be a festive dessert for the holidays.
Looking for more vegan dessert recipes? Check out:
- Fudgy Vegan Black Bean Brownies With Mint
- Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Vegan Muffins
- The Best Vegan Coffee Cake With Berries
Easy Vegan Blondies with Cranberries and Nuts
- 7 tablespoon vegan butter, slightly softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ⅓ cup sweetened dried cranberries (Craisins)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Beat the vegan butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Add the unsweetened applesauce and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chopped nuts and dried cranberries with a spatula.
- Use the spatula to add scoop the batter into the prepared pan. The batter might be a little sticky.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-32 minutes.
- Let sit for 25 minutes before cutting and enjoying.
- I recommend using Earth Balance butter sticks if you can find them.