These Easy Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best oatmeal cookie. Whether they have a chewy texture or crispy edges or both, oatmeal cookies are always a delicious treat. These cookies are easy to make with simple ingredients.
Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
These cookies are made with simple ingredients that you probably already have at home.
- Vegan butter - My favorite brand to use is Earth Balance.
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Flour - It's best to use all purpose flour in these cookies.
- Baking soda
- Oats - Use old fashioned oats.
- Non-dairy chocolate chips - My favorite brand of vegan chocolate chips are Trader Joe's. Their regular semi-sweet chocolate chips are accidentally vegan.
Making the Cookies
These cookies come together really quickly. Starting with the wet ingredients, cream the softened butter (leave out at room temperature for 15 min.) brown sugar, molasses and vanilla extract together in a stand mixer. A hand mixer and a large bowl will work too.
If possible, try to find vegan butter sticks instead of the tub as the sticks have less water in them and just work a little better. Plus they are easier to measure. Make sure it is very well mixed.
Next, the dry ingredients. Pour in the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and mix until combined. Do not over mix or your cookies will get too dense.
Once everything is mixed check your cookie dough. If it seems really dry and crumbly, add a tablespoon of water to it. Next, fold in the oats (old fashioned or rolled oats) and the vegan chocolate chips and combine well.
Scoop dough and roll into balls about 1 ½" in size and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, depending on the cookie size. Let the cookies rest on the pan for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
How to Store the Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. These are best if eaten within 4 days.
Can I add nuts to these?
Absolutely! Either chopped walnuts or pecans would taste amazing in these. You would probably need about ½ cup.
I noticed there aren't any flax eggs in this recipe. Don't vegan recipes need them?
A flax egg is made by mixing flax meal and water. I'm not a big fan of flax eggs as I think they make baked goods a bit gummy. I almost never use flax eggs. The best thing is that this recipe does not need them at all.
Can I substitute coconut oil for the vegan butter?
I wouldn't. First of all, your cookies would then taste like coconut. Secondly, it'll change the consistency of the cookies.
What type of oats are best to use?
Old fashioned or rolled oats are the best choices for these cookies. Steel cut oats or quick oats will not work well.
I only have white sugar. What can I do?
You can make brown sugar as long as you also have molasses! Mix 1 teaspoon of molasses with 1 cup of white sugar and you'll have brown sugar. If you don't have molasses, you can use white sugar in this recipe. You'll lose a little of the flavor but they'll still taste good.
Does the cookie dough need chill time?
No, it's not necessary for the dough to chill in the refrigerator.
Can I make these with white whole wheat flour?
If you want to use white whole wheat flour, you can use it for about half of the total flour. If you use all whole wheat flour and no all-purpose flour they will be very dense.
I forgot to leave the vegan butter out to soften. What can I do to speed up the process?
To soften a stick of butter, you can microwave it for about 15 seconds. It will soften without melting it.
These are the best vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for an afternoon snack. They are sweet and a little crunchy but they also have whole oats for some added whole grains. You may want to make a double batch! This recipe is versatile and adding walnuts or pecans is also a great option. I hope you love them!
Interested in other vegan cookie recipes? Check out:
- Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies With Peanuts
- The Best Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Easy Homemade Lemon Cookies (Vegan)
- Vegan Cranberry Cookies With Almond Extract
Easy Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup vegan butter, slightly softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon water if needed
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips, vegan
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream together the butter, brown sugar, molasses and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda until combined.
- Check your dough. If it's very dry and crumbly, add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough in balls about 1 ½" in size and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes depending on size of cookies.
- Let the cookies rest on the pan for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- If possible, use vegan butter sticks instead of from a tub as the sticks have less water in them. I use Earth Balance.
- You can add in other mix-ins if you'd like. Pecans or walnuts would be delicious too.