This Indian inspired dish is a mild curry that the whole family will enjoy. It has a creamy, flavorful curry sauce and is perfect on top of a bowl of rice. Vegan Tofu Keema calls for peas and carrots but you are welcome to add any vegetables you'd like. I've adapted the recipe from this original one.
Not everyone is a fan of tofu, but I love it. It's incredibly versatile and so easy to prepare. With it's neutral flavor, it can be used in savory dishes as well as desserts. It tends to absorb whatever flavors it's being cooked with. It only takes a minute to cube it and it's ready to go.
Making the Recipe
To begin, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet or sauce pan. If you don't have coconut oil, you can also use olive oil but you'll lose a little of the coconut flavoring. Add the onion, garlic, and tofu and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, cumin, ginger and salt and stir gently until well combined. Make sure you stir gently so you don't break up the tofu.
Next, add the coconut milk, tomato sauce, peas and carrots and bring to a low boil. You can use either full fat or lite coconut milk.
Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent any burning on the bottom of the pan. Serve on top of your favorite kind of rice. Enjoy!
Vegan Tofu Keema
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package tofu, extra firm
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 16 oz. can coconut milk
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrots
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, and tofu and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, ginger, and salt and stir until well combined. Stir gently so as to not break up the tofu.
- Stir in the coconut milk, tomato sauce, peas and carrots and bring to a low boil.
- Lower the heat, cover pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on top of rice and enjoy!